Friday, April 10, 2009








Going Guyanese!
You have no idea of what that means and I am not sure I do . I am in a shithole hotel and got a gut feeling I will love it .. No hot water , no toliet seat , you do not want to know …… Went down to a plaza this afternoon and bought a very stout walking stick (club) from my friend the wood carver . He told me of a restaurant down the road and I walked towards it .. Over a brick wall I could hear a juke box. At the fence I peered in and there was a bunch of people at tables. They smiled and invited me in . It was the clerical and commercial workers union hall. Sorry , I do not do main stream well. I bought the table a round and they all sang and had a pretty good time . They introduced me to everyone and some of them already knew me .. 1,000,000 people . I cannot tell you how much they took care of me . I walked away from my camera bag with the union business agent and did not realize it was raining . They took all my equipment inside for me . I am convinced Guyanese are the nicest people I have ever met. Everyone loved my photos and even a photographer who was at the peace festival remembered me and invited me to meet another journalist who did inland tours. The business agent wants me to shoot his kaorkee bar..!!!!. However I am back at the motel and I am not sure I got the guts to go back downstairs and bond.. It 9:30 p.m easter is starting up and they are partying .
Well, at least I have the guts to go downstairs. There is a huge truck outside the motel. It gold miners! They are pumped! They said they have a stake far away in the jungle . They made a lot of money . and are headed back. They ask me if I wanted to go , ,,,, ,
Bed sucked. Blockaded the door with both beds in a line . No one could visit me last night . Took photos of the cabbys outside . They roared with laughter .. They will take care of me .
photos are , gold miners truck, cab driver who has 16 children, union hall dance..

No comments:

Post a Comment