Monday, April 6, 2009

Robbed!

For those not Familiar with Galveston and the wizard. Dave Torkelson has a small periodical called the Galveston wizard. Google it . It is a real shoe string operation with great hopes. I do some writing and photography for the magazine.

Georgetown , Guyana is a city of a million hard working yet laid back people. As with any third world country I first set off for the open markets. It is the real world in many ways. Georgetowns was no exception. Rougher and poorer than any I had seen in Mexico or peru, yet not as primitive as Haiti’s.
It is very easy to strike up a friendly conversation in Guyana and every single person I talked with warned me I was a extra special target walking the streets being a foreigner and having the camera bag. It is not extremely dangerous but I feel they are extremely caring.
The market is fairly safe yet My camera was out of the bag most of the time photographing. I knew each day brought more danger.
It happened this morning . In the crowd at the market someone bumped into me from behind. I slightly felt my right pocket stirring . I hugged my camera bag and he shoved me towards a stand like he was losing his balance but it was really to clean me out . I am left handed so my phone was not in the pocket and he got my cigarettes. I have never been pick pocketed before but now realize it is obvious if you are being aware and a swift knee to the groin is easy since his hands are busy . it’s a learning curve.
I shrugged off the lose of a pack of cigarettes but then noticed the zipper of my camera bag was partially open . Affixed to it was the world famous Galveston wizard Press pass.. Oh my God ! Although it had not got me back on the island after Hurricane Ike, it probably had kept me from getting my butt beaten a few times. I need to get a warning to dave ! What if someone with my press card credentials sent a story to dave at the wizard and dave sent those big bucks to him . I felt lost without my press credentials raped and invaded. I am in a foreign county . What do I do ? Call the Embassy! Hmm, As I promised to my friends I had checked in to the American embassy when I arrived. Well, almost, they did not open till noon so I sampled the 5 year rum. The guards who searched me were totally ok with it and loved all the stuffed and marshmallow peeps they found in my camera bag. However I decided I had lost a lot of credibility with the staff. I have no idea what you can do with a Galveston press pass. I ask my waiter and a lawyer sitting next to me and they were also at a loss. It’s in your hands Dave.

No comments:

Post a Comment